Monday, March 2, 2009

Funny taxi uncle

I was having an animated conversation with the taxi uncle on the way home from NTU and we were talking about the benefits of GPS when he suddenly asked if I was a student or a teacher at NTU. The conversation went like this.

Uncle: Are you a student or a teacher there ah? Oh, you not teacher there? You mean you are STILL a student??? A master right?(His tone implied that I looked too old to be an undergrad.)

Me: ...... er, well... grad dip student lah.

Uncle: Oh, so you working at the same time... Are you a SECRETARY? You look like a secretary.

Me:...... (further silence) NO UNCLE. I'm not a secretary!!!

Uncle: So what you work as?

Me: (with some unknown sense of pride) I civil servant!

Uncle: oh! SAF ah?

Me: (starting to wonder if there is something wrong with him) NO LAH! I'm from one of the ministries. (Come on, which part of me did you see the association with SAF??)

Uncle: ah.... MOE?

Me: Info... The colourful building... you know?

Uncle: oh well... erm..

No comments: